Friday, January 25, 2019

Trip Report: Oahu day 2: KCC Farmers Market, Aulani, Monkeypod Kitchen, & Musubi Cafe

I woke up just as the sun was rising.

For breakfast we headed to the KCC Farmers Market, I'm not sure if it's a new thing because I just recently heard about it.

It can get pretty backed up just to get to the parking lot, but there is a good amount of parking since the Farmers Market is held at a Community College. I've dealt with worse at the mall during the holidays.

I was concerned that there were going to be horribly long lines, but it's wasn't bad at all. I think the longest I waited in line was maybe 10 minutes.

I really wanted to get this frozen yogurt served in papaya, but not for breakfast.

Garlic Shrimp Bake. Looks just like the chicken bake you get from Costco. I bought one to eat later.



This was the longest line I waited for it. I didn't know what it was but I saw the line so I jumped in.

I guess it's hotdog & sausage stand.


I ordered the King Kong cause it was recommended. It was very good and perfectly cooked. I can see why the line was long, but they are really fast so it didn't take long to get my food.

BBQ Abalone. Didn't try this cause the small ones were sold out already.


They also have abalone poke & abalone fried rice.

Nalo made Lemonade.

We got Strawberry. This was also done very well. A good balance of sweet and tart.



I got the coffee jelly drink. It's coffee jelly with creamer & whipped cream.

I mixed it up and drank it. Pretty good. Tasted more like a dessert than morning coffee.

I only knew that the Farmers Market operated on Saturday mornings and Tuesday evenings, but they operate on all days except for Monday, but they move around depending on the day.


This was delicious. They have different fillings daily. Usually one sweet and one savory. On this day savory was garlic cheese and sweet was dulce de leche. I can eat several of these.


Read some reviews about the fried green tomatoes so we ordered the combo basket. They were decent but nothing amazing.

After the farmers market, we headed to Kona Coffee Purveyors at the International Market.




They do make some really good coffee drinks and their pastries are pretty damn good. This is Tart Trepezienne - buttercream & azuki bean. It's like brioche with sweet cream.

The garlic shrimp bake from the Farmers Market. It was okay.

We stopped by Mitsuwa to stock up on snacks.




There was a big hype going on about these Mochi Donuts when they did a pop-up shop at a Mitsuwa back at home. I heard some people waited for 3 hours to get them. There was no one in line in Hawaii so we thought we would try it.


Got a few flavors and the Mochi waffle which had egg and cheese. They were pretty good, but definitely not worth a 3-hour wait. So glad I was able to try them without a wait.


I've been wanting to check out Aulani a Disney Resort & Spa. So since we had nothing to do we went to the resort.




It's a really nice resort. The area reminded me of Maui.

Their pool is amazing. Lazy river, water slides, they even have a private 3,800 sqft snorkeling lagoon.


Did a little souvenir shopping. Koa wood postcard. I had to get it.


Made our way down to the pool. Only the guest is allowed to use the pool and they have wrist bands to identify guests.




I had to get a Mickey Shave Ice. It was okay, Waiola is still better.




We had lunch at their restaurant.


The view from the restaurant was outstanding and they validate up to 4 hours. Visitors are allowed to use the beach from what our server told us. Only the pool is off-limits.





Liliko'i-lada & Cucumber Lychee Fizz


Our server told us that Disney commissioned a local woodcarver/artist to do all of the Mickey chopsticks for the resort. He said that they try to source things locally when possible.

Seafood Poke Bowl with Nori and Sushi Rice. It was pretty good.

Before leaving the resort we did a tour of their rooms.





Next, we headed to Monkeypod Kitchen, suggested by our friend Nicole.

She recommended their Monkeypod Mai Tai topped with Honey Lilikoi Foam which amazing. I had it for the first time last year on Maui at the Merriman Restaurant.

Truffle Fries which were good and Lobster deviled eggs. It's pretty much, deviled eggs with a lobster on top which was okay. They have a pretty decent happy hour.


They had great live music. They were doing cover songs, but their own remix rendition. They were pretty talented.

Na Ka Oi: vodka, basil, lime, simple syrup, honey lilikoi puree.

As we were leaving Monkeypod I saw the big-eyed crab and had to get it for my buddies daughter.


The plushies are characters from a book. So I had to get his book also.

Eventually made our way back to our hotel.

Grabbed some dinner from Musubi Cafe. Teriyaki Spam with sushi rice. I don't know what they do to their rice but it's so good.

Chicken not so good.

A few of their musubi creations which are also very good.

Also got some Taste Tea nearby

Our view for the entire week!

We slept with the balcony wide open. It was around 60 degrees at night and 80 degrees during the day. Low humidity also. We didn't even need the AC when the balcony was open.

That ends day 2. I don't even know what we were going to do tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment