Thursday, June 15, 2017

SoCal day 2: Universal Studios, Shin Sen Gumi, & Afters ice cream

There's was quite a bit of traffic so our navigation led us through mountain to get to Universal Studios.





Since we had annual passes from December. Thought we would put them to good use.







There's a Voodoo Donuts now at City Walk.


It was pretty dead at City Walk. I think it would be busier if they didn't charge a $20 parking free. They should do what Downtown Disney does and offer complimentary 2 hour parking.

Was meeting up with my friend Edwin for lunch and decided on Karl Strauss Brewing Co.




Beer Belly: Beer-braised smoked pork belly, grilled broccolini, poached Chino Valley cage-free egg, togarashi spice, and umami glaze.

Dish was pretty good, wish there was more pork belly though.

Double Truffle Fries: parmesan, chopped garlic, rosemary, white truffle oil, and truffle aioli.

These were good and you can't go wrong with truffle fries.

Spicy Shrimp & Grits: pan-seared shrimp, beer deglaze, sriracha butter, cilantro, broccoli avocado, roasted red pepers, and creamy habanero jack grits.

I've had grits maybe once or twice and I know I never liked it. So I was a bit hesitant when I ordered this dish, but I'm glad I did cause it was delicious.

The Beer-Brined Chops: French-cut pork chops brined in Red Trolley Ale. Garlic mashed red potatoes, sauteed green beans, broccoli, firecracker sauce, and spicey mustard sauce. This dish was also very good.

Forgot which burger my friend ordered.


It was our first time meeting Edwin's girlfriend Jacquelyn.

We eventually made out way into the park.

We mainly came in to see WaterWorld and to get some ButterBeer. We barely missed the showing and had to wait an hour for the next one.


So headed to Harry Potter World to get ButterBeer.


A friend requested that I bring back ButterBeer for her. I had a really nice glass bottle with a swing top, but they wouldn't allow glass into the park. So I bought a Doctor Who thermos at a souvenir shop at City Walk.



Supposedly there was an early preview event of Nighttime Lights at Hogwarts for annual pass members, but we didn't go cause we weren't going to stay that long.



Walked by Moe's Tavern and thought I would take a peek inside.

They actually have Duff Beer on tap.




I can't believer WaterWorld has been running for this long. I haven't seen the show for almost two decades.




After our ButterBeer and show we headed back to Fountain Valley to meet with some friends for dinner at Shin-Sen-Gumi Robata & Yakitori

They have happy hour on Monday & Tuesday for Yakitori


Fried cheese with fish roe.

Takoyaki

Pork Belly

Crab Croquette

Miso Pork Belly

Chicken hearts I think.

Quail Egg and Chicken liver

Chicken skin

Bacon wrapped quail eggs.

Bacon wrapped asparagus and more quail eggs.



Foie Gras



Chicken meatballs

Yellow Tail carpaccio


Tonkatsu

After dinner we headed to Afters Ice Cream which was located down the street.

I usually get cookie monster, but I tried their cookie butter and it was amazing. Got a scoop of it with Captain Crunch. Looks like I'm going to have problems deciding in the future.

Tammy got Furious Flan which was pretty good, but not as good as cookie butter.

They also have chocolate milky buns now, but my friend told me it was okay. Original is better.

That ends day 2. Tomorrow we have breakfast, lunch, and then head home.

No comments:

Post a Comment