Thursday, October 14, 2021

14th Annual Halloween trip day 1: Disneyland & Club 33

After a one-year hiatus, we finally made our way back to Disneyland. We haven't missed a year since 2007, but nothing we can do for 2020 when the park was closed. So let us get to it.
Airport lounges were open again, food offering wasn't as extensive as it used to be, but the bar was open and that's what I'm here for.
Jaylyn still didn't know we were going to Disneyland, she was aware of a surprise but still insisted that the surprise was a Magic Mixies toy. 
Normally we would head to a Halloween Haunt the night of our arrival, but because of limited capacity at theme parks. Club 33 had limited hours also, so we chose to skip the Halloween Haunt this year and go directly to Disneyland when we landed. 
Lines for attractions seemed to be normal, but walking through the park was very spacious and enjoyable. I can't remember the last time I've been to Disneyland and seeing Main Street so empty.
The Snow White attraction recently went thru an update and the wait was only 15 mins. So that was our first ride of the day. 
The kids wanted to ride the Carousell after and by the time they were done. It was time to head to Club 33. Our friend Anna arrived on a later flight so while the group headed to Club 33, I met up with Anna at the front gate.
Since Anna came directly from the airport she tried to rent a locker for her luggage but had issues with the size of the locker. I asked guest services and they directed me to larger lockers more suited for luggage hidden out of sight. As many times as I have been to Disneyland, I had no idea these larger lockers were tucked away in an undisclosed location. 

They were celebrating 55 years of It's a small world at Club 33.
I know we only missed one year, but I was glad to be back at Club 33.
For the It's a Small World celebration Club 33 had a special Tiki mug and also served a special themed menu. I was told the themed menu changed weekly. They were serving cuisines from around the world and on our visit it was Australia.
I wished I had a liquor collection like this. 
I had to get the Tiki mug to add to my collection. The drink that came with the mug was The Happiest Cruise That Ever Sailed: Whiskey, Lemon, Housemade Shiraz Syrup.
We tried some of the themed items on the menu

Hand Crafted "Aussie" Lamb Pie: braised Australian lamb and potato baked in a flakey pastry. 
This was delicious.
Fiscalini Grilled Cheese with Tomato Soup: Tillamook cheddar, bacon, dijonaise. 
OMG! this was incredible.
We also ordered Pappardelle Pasta with Roasted Chicken but I forgot to take a pic of it.
I thought it was okay.
Seared Tenderloin Tips: blistered tomatoes, capers, mustard vinaigrette.
This was okay also.
There's also a special blue version of the tiki mug, but only members can order it.
'66 Fizz: vodka oranje, fashionola, citrus, raspberry, simple cream, meringue, nutmeg.
This was a limited cocktail menu offering.
Since I was taking pictures of drinks, Jaylyn insisted I take a picture of her drink also.

I've been on my never-ending quest to drinking every cocktail on Club 33's menu. Well within reason of budget. There are some liquors that are offered that are $1,500 an ounce.

My friend found out that there is a cocktail list for members only. It's called an A-Z list and has 140 or so cocktails on the list. They have a binder and log every drink the member has had. My friend is more of a beer person than cocktails. So he let me attempt to finish his list. Supposedly you get something after you finish the list. Luckily I have been logging down every drink I have had ever since I've started my quest. So I was able to write down my previous cocktails to mark off the list and now I don't have to think of what to order next. I just ask them to make me whatever is next on the list. So far I ad only finished a little over thirty cocktails.

A-Z list
So this is 20th Century. They do tell me what's in it, but I just remember the names.
Another limited cocktail menu offering.
'64 Fizz: white rum, tequila, blue curacao, citrus, simple, cream, meringue, nutmeg.
Perisphere: overproof rum, creme de cacao, orgeat, pineapple, lime, green chartreuse.
Some Small World display items.
The infamous Mary Poppins table used in the films.
Popped out onto the balcony while we were getting seated for lunch.
Things tend to sell out quickly at Club 33 and I really wanted to get a golf polo now that I actually golf. So I went to see what kind of merchandise they had.
First course:
Artichoke Heart Au Gratin, Parmesan, Sungold Tomato. I thought this was okay.
Alaskan Halibut Brandade, Lemon Aioli, Spanish Olive Relish. My wife really liked this.
Found a Club 33 golf polo so I put it aside to purchase after lunch.
Next on the A-Z list
Absinthe Suisse
Herb rolls, I was looking forward to the Brioche but they didn't have this time. Still good though.
Second course:
Roasted Heirloom Squash Soup, Duck Confit, Pepita Pistou. This was delicious. 
Entree: 
Creekstone Farms Filet Mignon, Onion Soubise, Haricot Vert. 
Amazing as always, it's very difficult to stray from what we know is really good. Good thing my wife and I always share our meals.
Breaded Chicken Paillard, Forged Mushroom, Butternut Squash.
This was good but not as good as the Filet Mignon.
Catch of the Day (Sturgeon), Golden Cauliflower, Couscous, Shrimp Nage.
Finales:
Grand Cru Dark Chocolate Silk, White Chocolate Chantilly, Crushed Chocolate Sable.
I'm not a huge fan of chocolate but this was really good.
Kid's menu Sundae we all had a taste since the kids were napping during lunch and the cookies are so delicious. 
Honey Poached Autumn Pear, Pear Sorbet, Citrus brioche.
This was good also, but the chocolate silk was better.
Two years ago I proposed to my wife at Club 33, which was the last time we were here due to the pandemic. Our friend surprised us with a card signed by the staff back then and two years later he surprised us with another one.
After lunch, it was time to do some shopping.
It was Anna's first time at Club 33 so I suggested she sign the guest book.
Next on the A-Z list
Airmail
Next A-Z list
Alley Cat
After spending several hours at Club 33 it was time to head back into the park.
I was able to score a boarding group for Rise of the Resistance attraction but unfortunately ended getting dropped because the ride had broken down and they couldn't accommodate our boarding time for the remaining operation time.
Smuggler's Run had a 35 min wait, but it was only a 5 min wait for single riders. So we decided to fly solo.
Lucky for us they allowed us to all ride together. We were able to board in less than 5 mins. 
We notice there was a short wait for the Jungle Cruise so we made our way, but before that, we saw a Churro cart and had to make a stop.
While waiting for Churros the fireworks show started and the park was quite empty which was nice.
After the fireworks the line for Pirates was extremely short, so we hopped on.
and then we rode the Jungle Cruise, they recently made some changes to the ride.
5 min wait for Astro Orbiter? Don't mind if we do.
The Evil Queen above the Snow White attraction appears every so often.
The kids were able to ride the Carousell again, dumbo, and we all rode Pinocchio before the park closed. 
We kinda went on a shopping spree at Club 33.
The giant cake at the Grand Californian Hotel. 
That's it for day 1. Tomorrow we head to DCA to see Avengers Campus.



No comments:

Post a Comment