Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Overlanding Mojave Desert National Preserve day 1

I was talked into going on an Overlanding trip with my brother to the Mojave Desert. What's Overlanding you ask?

"Overlanding is self-reliant overland travel to remote destinations where the journey is the principal goal. Typically, but not exclusively, it is accomplished with mechanized off-road-capable transport (from bicycles to trucks) where the principal form of lodging is camping, often lasting for extended lengths of time (months to years) and spanning international boundaries."

We headed out at 6am and started our journey.
Saw a bit of snow on our way to Mojave, definitely didn't expect to see snow.
 
Our last stop before we enter the National Preserve. 

We saw a few ads for Date Shake, I had no idea what it was and had to google it. I thought it was a name for a specialty shake or something, but it's a shake made with dates/date palm the fruit, yup I felt stupid.
 
Cima Dome, Joshua Tree Forest. I've heard of the tree before but had no idea what to expect. The Joshua tree only grows in the Mojave Desert. I wasn't too impressed, but I'm pretty sure it looked a lot better before it caught fire. A lot of the trees were burned due to the August 2020 lightning fire. 
 
After a bit of exploring we found our first camp spot.
 
 
It was very cold. I kind of under packed. It was so cold it started to snow and on top of that, there were 25mph winds. I was freaking miserable. 
 
I was layered up, with a blanket next to the fire and that didn't help either. I just stuffed myself in the tented and called it an early night. What the hell did I sign up for and I had four days of this?

No comments:

Post a Comment