Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Southern California

Headed to Southern California to visit some friends.



Got picked up at the airport by our friend and headed to Huntington Beach to check our friend's cousin's new eatery.



We went to Burnt Crumbs in Huntington Beach. I was really looking forward to House Chicharrons with Cheddar and the Chicken Liver Toast. Sadly they were both unavailable that day.



Fresh strawberry puree with sweet tea.


We ordered a bit of everything.

Reuben: pastrami, sauerkraut, russian dressing, swiss. Didn't care of the Reuben too much. I really like my pastrami thinly sliced.

Fried Chicken: garlic potato spread, gravy, sriracha honey, house biscuit.
The Fried Chicken was really good.

Was able to get some chicharron, but there wasn't any cheddar powder.

Spicy House Chili w/ focaccia bread.
The chili was really good. I heard they won a chili cook-off with this recipe. This tasted like a fusion of Vietnamese Beef Stew and American Chili. Sweet and spicy.

Spaghetti Grilled Cheese. Tasted as good as it looks.

After lunch we headed to Main Street Huntington Beach. I used to come here in the early 2000's when they held the NPPL (paintball) tournament. I used to work my friend's booth. I remember the first year they held the event at Huntington. It was so packed. The surrounding ATM machines ran out of money and mobile credit card devices weren't available yet.




I wanted to go bar hopping since we were in Huntington. Our first stop was The Irishman


Started off with a few Mules.


After a few drinks I wanted to head over to this tacky bar I saw on our way to The Irishman. It was busy earlier so was hoping it had calmed down by now. All I can remember was there was a shark hanging from the ceiling.
It was Baja Sharkeez. It makes sense now.





Had quite a few drinks at Sharkeez before finally heading back to my friend's house. After dropping off our luggage we headed out to dinner.
We went to Incheonwon BBQ House for some Korean BBQ.

Food was your typical Korean BBQ offering, but service was terrible.





After a long day of drinking we called it a night. The next morning our friend had to work so we set out in search for some food to bring back to the house.
I decided on Bunz since it had good ratings on Yelp.

The workers were very nice. Maybe he was the owner, but they were really friendly and service was great.


Chili Cheese fries are always a safe bet.



Bacon cheeseburger with fried egg. Burger was good, but nothing amazing.

Pastrami burger.

After a late lunch I headed out to visit my cousin I haven't seen in years. Hung out with him for a bit, then met up with my other friend Phil. He recently had a kid and I was meeting him for the first time.

Showed up at his house right when he got home from work. He had this GT3 on loaner.


Meeting Stephen for the first time. He's currently at his staring phase.








Still in his staring phase.

Phil and I headed out for dinner at Mizu

Tuna Tartar

Miso Black Cod

After dinner had some tea at 85 Degree Bakery

Went for a ride in the GT3 and boy do I need one of these.

Back at Son's house, the guys sous vide some chicken and duck.

We needed dessert so we went to Afters Ice Cream



Even though I want to try other flavors, it's hard to pull me away from a Cookie Monster ice cream with warm glazed milky bun.

The next morning we had lunch at Ritter's Steam Kettle Cooking.


First time I had experienced something like this. So they prepare your food for you in the steam kettles in front of you. You have a few choices from Gumob, Pan Roast, Etouffee & etc..


I had the Pan Roast and it was really delicious. I would come back again for it.

Fried calamari was pretty good also.

Manhattan Clam Chowder. I prefer the New England instead. I just wanted to try it.

After lunch we just killed time by watching a movie and getting some more snacks and tea until it was time to head home. Quite a chill trip and it was nice being able to visit everyone.

So where to next? I don't really have anything lined up anytime soon, but Bahamas will be the next trip in a few month.

No comments:

Post a Comment